On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 05:26:22PM +0200, Christos Sintoris wrote:

> Server side sorting is useful when network traffic costs more than
> processing time.

Yes, there are some exceptions.

> The server side sorting control in conjunction with the virtual list
> view control returns only a subset of entries to the client.

Yes.

> In the PHP Manual is stated that is possible to set ldap controls using
> the ldap_set_option directive. This however does not seem to work. The
> code I used to try this is below.
>
> I would like to know if anyone has tried it successfully or has any
> experience in setting up server side controls through php.

I have, it works. If you were to use it for this, you would have to BER
encode a sequence and pass a string not an array. But that's not the
main problem. The way I interpret RFC 2891, the server side control is
to be sent along with the search operation, not as a individual
operation. This is not currently supported in PHP. I'm sort of planning
to implement it. I'm not able to test it though, if you or others know
of a publicly available server that I can test against, let me know
(okay, I could probably find one myself with some digging around).

Stig