php-general Digest 2 Dec 2001 21:50:56 -0000 Issue 1029

Topics (messages 76341 through 76351):

PHP and JAVA
        76341 by: Steve Haemelinck
        76342 by: Christian Stocker

best way to handle a form with 60 fields !!!
        76343 by: Masudi Olivier
        76345 by: Fred

Re: PHP 4.1 out?
        76344 by: ~~~i LeoNid ~~

How to set file extension php Mac OSX and PHP 4.0.6
        76346 by: René Fournier
        76351 by: René Fournier

PHP Bulletin Boards...how they work.
        76347 by: Anthony Ritter
        76348 by: Miles Thompson
        76349 by: Anthony Ritter
        76350 by: Fred

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- Begin Message ---
Hi all

Does anyone got any experience with JAVA in PHP?
I tried to rebuild php with java support. Everything worked well but when I
try to initiate Java in PHP, I get cannot instantiate Virtual machine.
I use kaffe and I believe I have configured PHP correctly.

See http://www.haemelinck.be:8080/phpinfo.phtml

Thx

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
In <00f501c17b22$dd26da20$0600a8c0@shaemeli>, Steve Haemelinck wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Does anyone got any experience with JAVA in PHP? I tried to rebuild php
> with java support. Everything worked well but when I try to initiate
> Java in PHP, I get cannot instantiate Virtual machine. I use kaffe and I
> believe I have configured PHP correctly.
>
> See http://www.haemelinck.be:8080/phpinfo.phtml

look at http://php.chregu.tv/java-debian.html

maybe this gives you a hint what you could have missed.

chregu
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
What is the best way to handle a form with 60 fields ?
Is it a maximum number of var that i can regisister in a session ? is it possible to
configure this number in php.ini ?
I dont'host my web site I use a hoste company where my site is hosted on an
linux/apache server with php4.
Is it a good idea to register  the 60 vars in my session and then to insert them into
a databes or is it better to insert only somme of them and make a link to a file where
i store all the others fields ?

What pissed me off most is to declare and handle so many vars.
It' s a form for a congress registration and users have to enter a lot of information.

I hope that some kind php master will give me some good tip to speed up my dev. time

Thanks and Peace
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
First, if your goal is to enter the form information into a database, there
is no need to ever register the form data as session variables.  Simply
insert the data into the database from the form and if you need some or all
of the data on other pages pull it back out of the database.

Second, it is never quicker or more efficient to store data in a file than a
database.

Third, it is ineffecient and unneccessary to put 60 fields in a single form.
If you are using the GET method it probably will not work since it passes
the variable names and values in the URL, which has a maximum length of 255
characters.  52 of your fields could be one character long (A,a,B,b...) and
the remaining 8 would need to be two characters (aa,bb...), which takes up
68 characters.  Then there are 60 &'s and 60 ='s which brings your total to
188 characters.  Even if your data was all sinlge characters your total will
now be 248 characters, leaving only 7 characters for your domain name, path
and script name.

You could, of course, use the POST method, but I would still not recommend
this simbly because it is a nightmare for both the user entering the data
and the person writing the script.

Break the form up into smaller pieces along logical boundaries.  For
example, submit contact information first and then move on to a form which
submits qualification information and so on.

Third, your database should probably not consist of a single table with 60
fields.  There is rarely an occasion where it is necessary or desirable to
have a 60 field table.  Break your tables up into logic groups along the
same lines as your forms.  You could have, for example, a table for contact
information and a table for qualification information.  Each table would
contain a unique id field that related to the other tables.

Find a tutorial on the web about database normalization to learn how to best
design your databases.  This should be the first step in the application
design process and all other work should be based on it.

Good luck and happy PHPing.

Fred

Masudi Olivier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
004e01c17b29$db1756e0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:004e01c17b29$db1756e0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
[...]

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:37:09 -0600 impersonator of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Mark Charette) planted &I saw in php.general:

As if viruses/spyware can not be inserted in announced software, as well..
even in additions to original developers bugs/eggs btw:). Of course you
have more rights to complain with announced ones, and this IS
(theoretically atleast:) important. Not exactly about this case, but I
received (not downloaded by myself:) the other day, an unsolicited e-mail
with a virus, from (and via) my ISP based address, which I am going to
report.

In the described case though, the site for download packages is widely
known. Its not for one time release, but for subsequent versions. Besides,
warning is in most cases included _inside_ the package's license, that
no-body is responsible for damage, use it 4 your own risk, etc, etc..

Anyway, I am not encouraging dounloading to quick, but just am stating
that forbidding refference to something already placed on the WEB - is
absurd.

>Mark C.

L. S. made DS:)
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I have successfully installed PHP 4.0.6, and it works! Only problem is
that Apache only sends files to the PHP module that have a .php
extension. However, I need to name the files .php4 (long story). As it
stands, all I see is the actual PHP source, not the output.

Does anyone know how I can change Apache and/or the PHP module to
recognize .php4 files and execute them as such?

Thanks.

...Rene

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
OK, that makes sense--that's what I did under WinME. The only problem is
that I can't seem to find the httpd.conf file anywhere. At least,
Sherlock is not returning any results. Do you know which directory
httpd.conf is in?

...Rene

On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 01:56  PM, Michael B. Weiner wrote:

> modify the apache configuration file (i.e. httpd.conf) and add it as
> and AddType, as in the following:
>
>  AddType application/x-httpd-php .php4 .php3 .phtml .php
>  AddType application/x-httpd-php-source .phps
> HTH
> --
>
> René Fournier wrote:
>
>> I have successfully installed PHP 4.0.6, and it works! Only problem is
>> that Apache only sends files to the PHP module that have a .php
>> extension. However, I need to name the files .php4 (long story). As it
>> stands, all I see is the actual PHP source, not the output.
>>
>> Does anyone know how I can change Apache and/or the PHP module to
>> recognize .php4 files and execute them as such?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> ...Rene
>>

> -- Michael B. Weiner, Linux+, Linux+ SME
> Systems Administrator/Partner
> The UserFriendly Network (UFN)
> --
> Linux Registered User #94900  Have you been counted?
> http://counter.li.org
>
> PGP: 30 1D CC BA 30 30 63 35  CD 58 E0 89 A9 17 CC C0  8C 55 F7 72
>
> .........    Escape the 'Gates' of Hell
>  `:::'                  .......  ......
>   :::  *                  `::.    ::'
>   ::: .::  .:.::.  .:: .::  `::. :'
>   :::  ::   ::  ::  ::  ::    :::.
>   ::: .::. .::  ::.  `::::. .:'  ::.
> ...:::.....................::'   .::::..
> --

---
René Fournier
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I'm using Windows 98 with Apache, mysql and PHP.

I'm in the process of learning PHP and would like to find a few tutorials on
PHP/mysql bulletin boards.

I know that there are a few that you can download but I am trying to find a
tutorial that will let me anylaze the syntax and logic of the code so that I
can understand and breakdown the steps in how a BB program works.

Any URL's will be helpful.

Thanking all in advance.
Tony Ritter

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

What did a search of Google "bulletin board tutorial php" turn up?
Then grab some source and analyze it.

Miles Thompson

At 03:53 PM 12/2/2001 -0600, Anthony Ritter wrote:
>I'm using Windows 98 with Apache, mysql and PHP.
>
>I'm in the process of learning PHP and would like to find a few tutorials on
>PHP/mysql bulletin boards.
>
>I know that there are a few that you can download but I am trying to find a
>tutorial that will let me anylaze the syntax and logic of the code so that I
>can understand and breakdown the steps in how a BB program works.
>
>Any URL's will be helpful.
>
>Thanking all in advance.
>Tony Ritter
>

>--

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
A search of Google came up with more than a few PHP/mysql bulletin boards.

I'd like to get one or two basic PHP/mysql BB's which a few users on this NG
like so that I can try to analyze the code.

TR

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
If you are new to PHP and/or MySQL then you are asking more than you think.
It is much more difficult for a newbie to "analyze" someone else's code than
it is to learn from scratch.  Do yourself a favor and read the PHP and MySQL
manual several time.  Start by writing simple scripts to enter and extract
database info and display it on the page.  In the process of learning, you
can come to this list and ask questions that you cannot find answers to in
the manuals or list archives.

It will be much less frustrating for you and those on this list if you take
this approach.  Although bulletin boards are not the most complex of
applications, they require a knowledge of many many PHP and MySQL basics.
Take the time to learn those basics before trying to swallow the whole
thing.

Good luck.

Fred

Anthony Ritter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> I'm using Windows 98 with Apache, mysql and PHP.
>
> I'm in the process of learning PHP and would like to find a few tutorials
on
> PHP/mysql bulletin boards.
>
> I know that there are a few that you can download but I am trying to find
> tutorial that will let me anylaze the syntax and logic of the code so that
> can understand and breakdown the steps in how a BB program works.
>
> Any URL's will be helpful.
>
> Thanking all in advance.
> Tony Ritter

--- End Message ---