I want to remove all superfluous blank spaces before I sent my HTML output, to make
the output smaller.

So I'd like to take $input, replace any number of blank space or newlines that are
consecutive and replace them with a single blank.

I.e. I will list a blank space as b and a newline as n:

If input is: bbbbbTEXTHEREbbbnnnbnMOREbEVENMORE
Then output should be: bTEXTHEREbMOREbEVENMORE

I imagine this would be handled by a simple regular expression call, but I'm no pro
with them yet.

Any help?

Thanks,
Ken