Ehm ...
I tried to do open_basedir within the .htaccess and own this file by root,
so the user
couldn´t change the settings. But yeah, that wasn´t the best solution, now I
do within
the Apache config file.
A entry for a vhost looks like this:

<VirtualHost IPADRESS>
    ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    ServerName www.domain.com
    ServerAlias domain.com
    DocumentRoot /home/domain/public_html
    php_admin_value open_basedir /home/domain
</VirtualHost>

Hope it helps !
Cya !

Daniel