Hi
Is this doing what you want,  seems you have to use an array to create the
ref (just getting a handle on objects :)

<?
class test_class
{
         var $dummy="nothing";
};

Function &assigning(&$returned,&$copy,&$object)
{
                 global $success;
                 $object->dummy="original";
                 $success=1;
                 $copy=$object;
         $copy->dummy="copy";
         $returned[] = &$object;
         var_dump("In the function",$success,$returned[0],$copy,$object);
         return $object;
}

$object = assigning($returned,$copy,new test_class);
echo "<br><br>";
var_dump("Out the function",$success,$returned[0],$copy,$object);
?>