I'm not sure which way you create the connection, but I suppose that you use
FSockOpen..

This is a buggy function, as far as I know..
Zend promised to take care of it in the 4.0.4 release of PHP, but since that
nothing has changed, apparently.
I had the same problem some week ago. In the end I had to use PERL script
via PHP function exec().

And here's the bug:
After calling a socket, PHP interpreter simply keeps all data in memory,
doesn;t close connection, keeps trying to read, and finaly stucks.. which
can lead to an extreme overload on your server (tried it on Apache and IIS).