Hi,

I had recent problems like this, and I traced it to firewall issues; however
i just checked the destination, and  found it is possible to telnet to that
port, so it's not a firewall issue on their side.

Try using the following code -- and let it run, see what response you get.

<?php

$host = "pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au";

$fp = fsockopen($host, 23, &$errno, &$errstr, 5);
   if (!($fp)) {
        echo "SOCKET ERROR: $errno - $errstr<br>\n";
}

?>

Hope that helps,

James Cox

James Cox :: Senior Support Engineer
Wherewithal, Inc. e: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Wherewithal. Capture Creative Connections.