> The maximum allowed of characters in a domain name is 3 (www) + 64
> (domainname) + 3 (tld) = 70 chars. So if you try to limit it within the 70
> chars you should be safe.

Uh? First of all it should be 73 (what listed plus three dots).

In the second place, do you mean "allowed" as in " what *I* arbitrarily
 set as a limit in my code" or "allowed" as in " Standard so and so
 dictates this"?

If so, which standard?

OK for the tld part, but domains like:

        mywww.subnet.domain.com

(leftmost substring > 3char, more than three substrings) do exist.

                mweb