JavaScript doesn't implement any kind of one-way hashing. But that's for a
good reason: suppose JavaScript encoded your password and sent it encoded to
the server. The in-between hacker would retrieve the encoded password as it
is sent to the server and simply pass that as the password - he doesn't ever
need to know your undencoded password to break in, since the server expects
it to be encoded anyway!

So you're only left with SSL for proper security...

HTTP_AUTH is just another way of sending the unsername and password as plain
text -- it's just more comfortable to use than checking if you have proper
credeintials in every page. My personal recommendation is to forget about
HTTP_AUTH and use SSL plus phplib for proper security.

Bogdan