Just in case anyone happens to have this problem sometime in the future,

after a lot of testing it seems that it is not necessary to have the line

global $GLOBALS

before you us the '$GLOBALS' array in a function, or a function in a class. You can
just use it.
In fact if you have the line

global $GLOBALS

it doesn't seem to reference the actual '$GLOBALS' array.
This is what I have found to be the case anyway.
If anyone knows why this is, or knows different to what I have just said, please do
let me know, because I would love to
know how
it all works.

Anyway, merry xmas, I'm not doing any of this tomorrow.