Daniel,

Here is a rather inelegant way to do this. I am sure there is a better way and I would
love for someone to point it out to us.

This function simply pulls out the first N words using the space as a delimiter.

function firstN($string, $N) {
        // remove all double and more spaces
        $string = ereg_replace("[[:space:]][[:space:]]+", " ",$string);
        // explode the string on spaces, slice off the amount of words you want and
then implode it back to a single string
        $return = implode(" ", array_slice (explode(" ",$string, $N + 1), 0, $N));
        // return it
        return $return;
} //end firstN