Hello to my php friends!

I am trying to compile PHP with: ---enable-trans-sid

But when i test out pages, the only time a real session is propagated
between pages is when i included the <?=SID?> in the URL's (AND THIS
WORKS GREAT!!!).

BUT, If I remove that PHP sniplet, the session restarts on every PHP
page I load.  The PHP manuel specifically says that transparent ID
enabled eliminates the need to do that.  Does anyone know what is going
on by chance?

Does anyone have some insight as to why my transparent ID is not being
passed between pages?  Thank you.

my source files are:

(1) php-4.1.1.tar.gz (2) mysql_3.23.46.tar.gz and (3) apache_1.3.22.tar.Z

my whole compile command is:

 ./configure --with-mysql --with-apacher=../apache_1.3.24
--enable-track-vars --enable-trans-sid --with-imap --with-kerberos
--with-imap-ssl

in php.ini, i have:

session.use_trans_sid = 1

when i check my config logs, it  says:

checking wether to enable transparent session id propagation . . . . yes