$where_conditions = array();
if( !empty( $lastname ) ){
        $where_conditions[] = "lastname like '%${lastname}%'";
}
if( !empty( $firstname ) ){
        $where_conditions[] = "firstname like '%${firstname}%'";
}
if( !empty( $age ) ){
        $where_conditions[] = "age = ${age}";
}
if( !empty( $weight ) ){
        $where_conditions[] = "weight = ${lastname}";
}

$where_clause = "";
$num_conditions = sizeof( $where_conditions );
if( $num_conditions > 0 ){
        $where_clause = "where ";
        for( $c = 0; $c < $num_conditions; $c++ ){
                $where_clause .= $where_conditions[$c];
                if( $c < $num_conditions - 1 ){
                        $where_clause .= " && ";

$query = "select * from table ${where_clause}";

that should be flexible enough for you to add new
fields to check, by only having to add "column = $value"
values to the $where_conditions array.

        g.luck,
        ~Chris                           /"\
                                         \ /     September 11, 2001