Use 64bit integers!  They'll count up to a much higher number and will last
way beyond 2038.

In the database, set the correct type (INT8 in PostgreSQL, dont know about
the others).  Dont worry about PHP as I'm sure there'll be a few newer
versions supporting wider int formats before then (if it doesn't already??)

--
Shane