basically tabs and line breaks disappear ... almost like it's treating
the message as html .. whitespace is history.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 04:29:03PM -0000, DL Neil wrote:
> Hank,
> You say "just text" and "text/plain".
> What do you mean by "mungs the formatting"? What formatting in plain text?
> =dn
>

> > I've got an app that sends emails, not complicated emails, their just
> > text, the mail text is stored in text files on the server so they can be
> > edited independant of the code, I've then got a function that reads the
> > file (using file()) ... iterates the array, chop(), append \r\n and
> > builds a message.
> >
> > This text gets sent using mail() -- works great for everything but
> > Outlook which seems to lose all the line breaks and generally mungs the
> > formatting to heck.  I've tried sending a "Content-type: text/plain;"
> > header ... doesn't help.
> >
> > The only thing that keeps me from losing my mind is that I accidently
> > had the wrong header "Content-type: text/text;" at first and while it
> > created an attachment in Outlook, the attachemnt was properly formatted.
> >
> > Anyone else have this problem and solved it?
> > --
> > Hank Marquardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > http://web.yerpso.net
> > GPG Id: 2BB5E60C
> > Fingerprint: D807 61BC FD18 370A AC1D  3EDF 2BF9 8A2D 2BB5 E60C
> >
> > --

Hank Marquardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://web.yerpso.net
GPG Id: 2BB5E60C
Fingerprint: D807 61BC FD18 370A AC1D  3EDF 2BF9 8A2D 2BB5 E60C
*** Web Development: PHP, MySQL/PgSQL - Network Admin: Debian/FreeBSD
*** PHP Instructor - Intnl. Webmasters Assn./HTML Writers Guild
*** Beginning PHP -- Starts January 7, 2002
*** See http://www.hwg.org/services/classes