On Friday, January 18, 2002, at 09:52  AM, Nick Wilson wrote:

>> my PHP (PHP Version 4.1.1) suddenly does not take this anymore:
>>  $a['color'] = 'red';
>> I get this error: Parse error: parse error, expecting `T_STRING' or
>> `T_VARIABLE' or `T_NUM_STRING'
>> when I remove the quotes around the key, it works.
>> Problem is , that a certain key is "%coding" (I know, I know, I should
>> not
>> use non-alphanumerics, but it used to work) and this key I cannot use
>> anymore: php does not take %coding, nor '%coding', nor "%coding".
>> Can someone help me out ?
>> Marc
>
> No idea, but a fella on this list told me [] had been deprecated in
> favour of {} Maybe that has something to do with it?

 From what I understand (as a participant in that thread), [] hasn't been
deprecated for all arrays, just the situations in which you want to
consider a string as an array of characters and are using a numeric
index to point to a specific character.  Like so:

$string = "abcdefg";
echo $string{3};

(should print "d" unless I'm doing this wrong).

For most other arrays, brackets are still OK.

Erik