Hawk,

Pardon me for not following this thread very closely, but I just played
around at the MySQL console. The fields I have are cName c(20) and
cPassword(10)

This executed OK
insert admin (cName, cPassword) values ('Deb', password('peaches'));

select cName, cPassword from admin;
returned
Deb : 041ae71715

select cName, cPassword from admin where cName = 'Deb' and cPassword =
password('peaches');
returned
Empty Set     (Uh Oh! -- Thought a bit ...)

select cName, cPassword from admin where cName = 'Deb' and cPassword =
left(password('peaches'),10);
returned
Deb : 041ae71715

I've left the field names out just for convenience, but this leads me to
two questions:

1. Password is the name of a function and you're using it as a field name.
Can you confirm that MySQL isn't choking on that?

2. Could field length be the problem?

A query of this form works
select cName, cPassword from admin where cName = 'Deb' and cPassword =
left(password('peaches'),10);
so in PHP this should work
$cName = 'Deb';
$cPassword = 'peaches';
$qry = "select cName, cPassword from admin where cName = '$cName' and
cPassword = left(password('$cPasswordf),10)";
etc ....

Have you echoed your query and what does it display?

I hope this is helpful - Miles