unlink(); help!!!!

the file I would like to delete (actual path)
/home/gruesome/public_html/nuved/clients/prestigemotors/images/55jpg

path I am feeding to unlink function
/home/gruesome/public_html/nuved/clients/prestigemotors/images/55jpg

error I get when I try to delete the file
Warning: Unlink failed (No such file or directory) in
/home/gruesome/public_html/nuved/includes/content/addvehicle.php on line
315

relative path to file (from script containing the unlink function)
../../clients/prestigemotors/images/55jpg

I am copying the file with the same script ($folder = 'prestigemotors'
&& $tempVID = '55')
$destination = '/home/gruesome/public_html/nuved/clients/' . $folder .
'/images/' . $tempVID . '.jpg';
if(copy(stripslashes($ipath),$destination)) ...

Mandrake / Apache / Frustration

help?