Can anyone explain why this URL and SQL statement won't work?

<A
HREF="test_mediacoverage.php?locale=en_na&sec=news&subsec=media&name=infowee
k1">Media Coverage Test Page</A>

--> And on test_mediacoverage.php ..

$table_name = "$locale";

// ..connection content..

$sql = "SELECT comp, content FROM $table_name
                WHERE sec = '$sec' AND
                subsec = '$subsec' AND
                name = '$name'
                ORDER BY comp
                ";

$result = @mysql_query($sql,$connection)
        or die("Couldn't execute query.");

It's giving me the 'Couldn't execute query' result, but the SQL statement
does work with the values hard-coded in..  So it must be something about the
way the values are passed through the URL.

On a furthur note, is this a good idea?  I'm using the URL to determine what
content goes into the the template..  I'm not using sessions or cookies (no
authentication needed..) so is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,

James