I have tried absolute paths but that does not solve the problem.
Unlike the filename extension suggests I am using php4.

The problem seems to be the password protection. When the three files are in
the same directory (be it protected or unprotected) everything works fine.
When index.php3 is in one directory and the other two files are in another
directory everything works fine but only if both directories are protected
or both are unprotected.

That including a script that is in a password protected directory is not
allowed seems reasonable to me, but the other way round ...?