Hi there,

I have a somewhat urgent issue so I'll get right to the point.

There are two tables and for simplicitys sake I stripped about 2/3 of
the tables structure.

I need to order the data from two SQL tables by date. Basically a
chronological list from the two tables. Now, ordinarily I would do two
queries and put disbursements into one list and activities into another
one, just above it. But in this case they need to be mixed so that it
would be a TRUE chronological list.

One way would be to do two queries and load all of the dates from the
two tables into a PHP array (and also define whether it's a disbursement
or activity) and then sort it in ascending order. Then I would have a
chronological list with information about ties of that table. Now I
could ask for the data by the name of the table and the date when I loop
through that PHP array and display it.

That, however, is a bit "around the edge". Do I have any simple
alternatives?

CREATE TABLE activities (
   id int(11) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL auto_increment,
   matterid int(11),
   costtype enum('unit','hour'),
   cost float(10,2),
   actcount float(10,2),
   fillin date,
   PRIMARY KEY (id)
);

CREATE TABLE disbursements (
   id int(11) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL auto_increment,
   matterid int(11),
   disdesc varchar(30),
   discost float(10,2),
   fillin date,