Your reg-ex wouldn't quite work.  Remember, .info, .name, .coop and other
new TLDs are out or are coming out soon.  A limit of {2,3} would rule them
all out as invalid.

It's only really possible if you have a list of all available TLDs and
compare in part to that.  There are like 130 TLDs too, so it's not the most
practical thig in the world.

Mike Frazer