The only way that works fine for me is to read a file char by char. When you
read the \n character add the readen chars in array's position.

Here is an example

$fp  = fopen ("myfile","r");
$txtarr = array();    // array to store each line of your file
$linenum = 1;         // just a counter
$linetext = "";         //  string to put characters. Empty this string when
you move to new line

while ( !feof( $fp ) ){
    $ch = fgetc( $fp );    // read a char
    $linetext .=  $ch;     // added to string

    if ( $ch=="\n" ){    // is it a new line?
         $txtarr[$linenum] = $linetext;  // fill your array
         $linenum++;                           // counter ++
         $linetext = "";                          // empty line string;

echo $txtarr[0];      // this outputs the1st line of your file
etc.