Hello!
>From my understanding of your question, I'd say that you'll
have to configure Apache so that it calls PHP for XML-files,
too. You can set this up in your either ".htaccess" files or
in your Apache config file (-> see the docs, I don't know
exactly 'cos I'm using IIS/5.0 with Win2k). This is what I
use for on my ISPs virtual web server:
    AddType x-mapp-php4 .xml
    AddType x-mapp-php4 .xhtml
    DirectoryIndex index.xml index.xhtml
    IndexIgnore .htaccess .htpasswd

The <?php [...] ?> - tags should then be processed _before_
the browser.
An alternative to using XML is using XHTML 1.0 (either
transitional or strict) in your .html - files:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
        <head></head>

Don't forget to end your empty tags with /> instead of >, like this: <br />

Hope it helps, regards,

--
Christian Blichmann

don't hesitate - email me with your thoughts:
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 - please remove the ".nospam" from address.