You need to sit through my PDF/PHP talk where I go through all this.  See
conf.php.net/paris2 specifically slides 7 and 8

In particular see the example:

http://conf.php.net/pres/slides/intro/pdf_font_ex2.php

the code for which is on slide #8.  This example shows how to use each of
the built-in fonts, a couple of AFM (Adobe Font Metric) fonts and also a
couple of TTF fonts all on the same PDF page.

-Rasmus