Ok..found something interesting.

PHP + Apache 2.0.32 does not run on glibc 2.2.5.
(fyi 2.2.5 was compiled with 3.0.3
and my kernel, and binutils, and openssl)

I tarred up an installation of Apache 2.0.32 I made from a different
machine running 2.2.4, compiled from 2.96, as well as the php module I
installed there too.

I found that both modules I have(one compiled using gcc3 and one with
gcc2), do not let httpd start.

I'm not sure where to go from here to find out which half it is, but I'm
going to do the following:

1. not use ssl(which I did on my test setup as well as the glibc 2.2.5
system)
2. minimal configuration and installs of both php and apache2.
e.g. ./configure --prefix=/web/2.0 --enable-so (for apache2)
then ./configure --with-apxs2=/web/2.0/bin/apxs (for php4-cvs)

If that works, then something in the middle is mucking things up, and
I'll try to see what I can do there.
--
Austin Gonyou
Systems Architect, CCNA