I and my www space provider have fought with a problem. All
files/directories created by PHP are owned by nobody/nobody and we want
them to be created by my own uid/guid. How this would be solved by least
amount of modification in the scripts.

The problem is in that safe mode requires that the script and the
directory containing the file/directory to be accessed is owned by me
and only me. If I tell PHP to create a directory test1 under my www root
and then change to that directory and tell it to create another
directory for example called test2, it fails because test1 is owned by
nobody, not me.