Thanks, I redid the configure with BOTH imap and imap-ssl
It now shows up in the phpinfo.
I now have another problem when the login is being deneid because of a bad
password, but this is a different problem. prob. not to do with php.
By the way, the system i am on is alpha OSF4.1.
thanks for your help