William,

You need a mathematician not a computer programmer.

This is classic number theory which must have been very well
explored.  I have a very vague recollection that there may be
partial proofs that there are no primes between x and y or no
more than n primes between w and z for low ranges of numbers.

My instinct would be that you cannot, in general, know you are near
a prime.  But that's based on a wishy-washy assumption that primes are
the only significant rational numbers and that all other rationals
are just short hand for prime relationships. Or rather, only the
primes and irrationals are necessary.  Or, if you want a database
metaphor, only primes are 5th normal form.

Hope you are/are not trying to crack ciphers!

George