From: PHP freak [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 8:39 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PHP] two different MySQL connections without always select_db?

How would you keep two different MySQL connections to two different MySQL
databases (on two different MySQL servers) up and available with two
different pointers (id), and not need to always do "select_db()" to switch
between them?

I thought that if I did this:

----------- php: -------------
$aaa_link = mysql_pconnect("localhost", "u", "p");
mysql_select_db("apples", $aaa_link);

$zzz_link = mysql_pconnect("remotehost", "u", "p");
mysql_select_db("zebras", $zzz_link);
------------------------------

... that I'd be able to access both pretty easily. Like this:

----------- php: -------------
$aaa_result = mysql_query("select * from apples", $aaa_link);
$orchard = mysql_fetch_assoc($aaa_result);

$zzz_result = mysql_query("select * from zebras", $zzz_link);
$zoo = mysql_fetch_assoc($zzz_result);

$aaa_result = mysql_query("update apples set something='" . $zoo['zebrafur']
. "'", $aaa_link);

But it seems to tell me that $zzz_result is not a valid resource - unless I
do the select_db thing inbetween the two commands.

Is there anyone doing this successfully?  Back-n-forth between two
databases?

Thanks for any help.