That'd depend upon who owns the directory and what user your web server is
running as.

If the folder, or directory is owned by the user the server is running as
then the permissions should be OK. Due to your error message I'd guess they
don't have write access.

Permissions of 766 might be enough. Although I'd make sure that the
directory is owned by the user the server is running as and then make it
700.

You're in a non-Windows environment - yes ??

Jim.....