At 16.03.2002  01:41, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I appologise if this is off topic but I don't know who to ask. I hope
>you guys don't mind.
>
>Does any body know where I can find information about the steps of
>setting up a server(LINUX) so that people can find a certain URL
>address?
>
>I want to sent up a small server for myself from home with my machine
>but I don't know how to make it so that the web pages that I put in
>my
>server accessable by other people around the world.
>
>do I have to connect my modem into my phone line (online) all the
>time
>or...???
It sounds, as you are a "newbe". Setting up a linuxbox is one thing,
getting it in the internet is another.
Better way is to look for a provider (maybe free, or free & php)
to put the pages there. That´s cheaper then having the linuxbox be connected
to the internet via a phone-line. (mh.. what about an IP ?)
If you want to do PHP, set up a linux server as described in the link (see
th other reply)
test your stuff "locally" and when you´re ready put them on the provider´s
machine.
You´ll save a lot of money and time.
look in the archive for "free php spaces".
HTH Oliver