Hi Mark,

It does not work. What it does is to echo the thing to the screen.

How can I force the browser to download it with its original file name?

----- Original Message -----
To: "Carlos Fernando Scheidecker Antunes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "PHP-GENERAL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 5:01 PM
Subject: Re: [PHP] how to send a file to the user's browser?

A couple more headers than absolutely necessary, but this should work:

<?php
// open file and send to user
if($fp = fopen($downloadfile, "r")){
  // output headers
  $downloadsize = filesize($downloadfile);
  header ( "Expires: Mon, 1 Apr 1974 05:00:00 GMT" );
  header ( "Last-Modified: " . gmdate("D,d M YH:i:s T") );
  header ( "Pragma: no-cache" );
  header ( "Content-type: application/octet-stream; name=$downloadfile" );
  header ( "Content-length: $downloadsize" );
  header ( "Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="$downloadfile" );
  // read out file
  fpassthru($fp);
  fclose($fp);
} else {
  // can't open file
}
?>

mh.

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Carlos Fernando Scheidecker Antunes wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've got a script that generates a txt file, compresses it into a Zip file
and it all happens on a directory that is out of apache's web site.

> This script generates the file based on MySQL server information and I
have it then sent to the user's e-mail address. What I would like to do is
to make the PHP script "throw" the file to the user's browser so that it
would download it automatically. This file is created on a directory that is
not the same as the web server where the pages and php scripts are located.