On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 09:40:17PM +0100, Jan Grafström wrote:
> Hi!
> I have read several tricks of how to remove white spaces but how to create
> them?
>
> product    items    price    amount
> book        2            25            50
> cd-rom     3            15            45

I'd avoid using tabs due to them being rendered as different widhts on
different machines/programs/etc.  sprintf() is the way to go.

Here's a quick and dirty example of an approach that prints out your
data to the browser.  You'll need to tweak it to get the values from the
right variable names and to put the string into a variable rather than
echoing it, but you get the idea...

<pre>
product   items    price    amount
<?php

$product = 'catnip';
$items = 5;
$price = .5;
$amount = $items * $price;

$padding = 15 - strlen($product);

echo "$product" . sprintf("%$padding.s%6.2f%7.2f", $items, $price,
$amount);

?>
</pre>

--