On Thursday, March 21, 2002, at 12:22  PM, Jason Wong wrote:

> On Friday 22 March 2002 00:54, Erik Price wrote:
>> Isn't it just a matter of setting the permissions?  apache can't have
>> read access to this directory, that's all.
>

> No, he doesn't want apache to *list* files in that directory but still
> to be
> able to serve files *from* that directory.

I'm not trying to argue, I just want to make sure that *I* understand
how Apache works -- I thought that if you deny "read" access to a
directory to Apache, then it won't list the files, but as long as Apache
still has "execute" access to the directory then it should still serve
files from it.  Just like using "ls" in the shell, you can read files in
a directory you cannot read, as long as you can execute the directory
and know the exact filename.

Am I wrong?

Erik

----