Good little programmers define variables before
using them, or at least before evaluating them.

  print $undefined; // E_NOTICE error

The most common use of this is:

  if ($submit) {

To check if a form submit button named submit
has been submitted.  If not, this does indeed
evaluate to false BUT also an error of level E_NOTICE
is created.  So, one might do the following,
which will never give E_NOTICE:

  if (isset($submit)) {

At any rate, the reason is your error levels
are different.  Look up the error_reporting
directive:

  http://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.php#ini.error-reporting

A function also controls this behavior within scripts,
it's appropriatly named error_reporting()

  http://www.php.net/error_reporting

So, start programming your code with error_reporting(E_ALL)
and have fun!

Regards,
Philip Olson

p.s. Although it's fairly common to create E_NOTICE all over
the place, it's not a good idea.  More and more people are
learning to not do that.