Hi,

I am also a newbie in PHP, but your question is more a MySQL question I
believe... :
$sql = "select max(thread) as thread, max(mesgid) as mesgid from
discussionboard";
This MySQL request gives you two informations : the maximum of the values of
the two fields (thread and mesgid) of the table named discussionboard : these
values are then put with $result_row = mysql_fetch_row($result) inside a row
of two values : $result_row[0] and $result_row[1].
I hope that helps you

P.S.: see the site www.mysql.com for more or clearer explanations and also of
course www.php.net

SR