Hello,

>1. PHP automatically sticks in the backslash in front
>of apostrophes and quotation marks. This seems
>weird.... Don't trust it. What's up here?

It is a setting of php.ini.
magic_quotes_gpc is it.
Default setting is magic_quotes_gpc=On, it means add slashes in front of
\ and ' of the data required from a form(i.e. http get & post
parameters).
See the function reference of get_magic_quotes_gpc() and ini_set().

>3. The mail function doesn't send e-mail, or I should
>say hasn't yet (after a few hours). Is this a PHP
>setting? Maybe the sendmail functionality is wonky on
>the server? Or is it possible PHP isn't looking in the
>proper place for the sendmail stuff?
 Can you send an email with your sendmail program of your hardware?
 sendmail setting must be done properly.

Regards,
Hiroshi Ayukawa
http://hoover.ktplan.ne.jp/kaihatsu/php_en/index.php