Among other user preferences, I need to record their time zone, so that
timestamps retrieved from a database can be displayed in their local time.

There are all sorts of schemes for this, providing varying levels of
detail (for a lot of detail, have a look in /usr/share/zoneinfo!). I would
probably be willing to sacrifice subtle city-by-city idiosyncracies in
exchange for simplicity as long as I were still able to handle daylight
savings time for major populated areas. Recording "+0400", for instance,
is not good enough.

Has anyone worked with this in the context of PHP? Any good pointers or
inspiration? Thanks.

miguel