Hi all,

This has been an interesting thread to read this morning.

I think we are clouding a few issues here, so if I may, I'd like to do a bit
of a summary.

Whilst I think that a general, searchable, web based FAQ (list of frequently
asked questions, with code snippet answers) contributed to by the whole
group is a great idea, and COULD be a great resource, it's missing the point
of my original post.  When new users join this list, it might be very
helpfull if upon subscription, the acknowledge a small, focused LIST FAQ
document before being allowed to post.

It will get new users in the right frame of mind to get the most out of this
community.  Monthly or weekly re-posting of this LIST FAQ will remind us
all.

Half the problem with general FAQ's is that people do not read them, and do
not search them.  Sometimes it's because people don't know what to search
for, sometimes it's because they don't even know FAQ exists, or where it can
be found.  They are often too big and overwhelming to be given
consideration.

My original aim was for a LIST FAQ which welcomes users to the group, and
answers a small refined set of issues, based on what we see in this group.
It may not be an answer-all, but it may point people in the right direction
before they flood the list.

By no means am I saying that a web based general FAQ is not a good idea,
because it can become a resource that we can point people to over and over
for repetitive issues, as we do with the manual.

At some stage, we will need to hear from some people at php.net, to know if
the list server can be modified to incorporate a welcome/acknowledge email
FAQ before they can post, and if a weekly reminder FAQ can be sent to the
list via automation.  I believe this should not be a huge issue though.

Quite a few people have put up their hands to help out, and I think that's
great.  But we need to separate the FAQ from the LIST FAQ.

I'm going to attempt to start structuring this LIST FAQ in the form of an
email, and would love input from anyone who has an issue they'd like
included... by no means at all do I think I'm any sort of authority figure
on PHP, nor do I believe I have all the answers.  Instead, I'll just take
the lead on getting it started, and welcome any input.

My aim will be at the most, a "top-ten" FAQ, plus an introduction to the
list.  Any more than this, it will become a chore to read, and lose it's
effectiveness.

If people have recommendations for this LIST FAQ, and are happy for me to
act as some sort of "hub", please email me your suggestions to
[EMAIL PROTECTED], rather than to this list.

If we can also form a small group to work on a web based, searchable FAQ,
like the ones already mentioned in this thread, that would be great as well.

Thanks for listening.

I welcome all feedback/discussion.

Justin French