Okay...

I understand SAFE MODE limits me to opening files owned by the same
user as owns the script, right?...

So, what's up with this:

PHP /www/herolist.com/web/categories.html: 105 2 SAFE MODE
Restriction in effect.  The script whose uid is 1065 is not allowed
to access /www/herolist.com/web/pictures/TERISBROTHER1thum.jpg owned
by uid 1056

Note that the UIDs are the *same*.

I'm using http://php.net/getimagesize

I'd tell you what PHP version I was using, if phpinfo() and
phpversion() worked...

Those yield:

[domain name changed to protect the innocent]
Warning:  Failed opening '/www/example.com/web/phpinfo.php' for
inclusion
(include_path='./:/www/example.com/private/include:/www/example.com/php/')
in Unknown on line 0

That also means I can't readily look up 'open_basedir' et al...

It was 4.2.0-dev last I looked, but my ISP is very... aggressive
about upgrading PHP :-)

Please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks!
--
Got Music? http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm