Hmmm I'm no expert on web IO between Apache and PHP, but my guess
is that Apache is holding the data and waiting for more. To verify
this I recommend that you try running from a shell cgi and see if
your string is flushed to stdio as it should. I remember running
into a similar problem one time while performing a remote file().

Cheers,
Rob.

--
| Robert Cummings |