It will only send compressed pages to browsers that support it so that's
not a problem.  Pro's are that pages load much faster. especially if
your HTML output is big, images are already compressed so they stay the
same.

cons are minor, since the page is gzipped when loading on a browser it
doesn't "cascade" onto your screen, it appears all at once when the
transfer is complete, so the total load time is faster, but it's a
little longer before the user see's anything.  I'd also guess that
gzipping every page will make the processor work harder. but I've never
had a problem with that.

test it out, we noticed big differences on modems to our site.

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 13:57, Levy Alves Carneiro Jr. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> inside php.ini file there's a special configuration:
>
> ; Transparent output compression using the zlib library
> ; Valid values for this option are 'off', 'on', or a specific
> ; buffer size to be used for compression (default is 4KB)
> zlib.output_compression = On
>
> this way pages will be parsed, compressed, and then sent to the
> browser. Does anybody know of pros & cons of using this
> configuration? Which browsers support zlib compression?
>
> Thanks,
> Levy

Jeff Bearer, RHCE
Webmaster
PittsburghLIVE.com
2002 EPpy Award, Best Online U.S. Newspaper