To the best of my knowledge, the only files you should be able to read off
the client side are cookies originating from the same domain.*

Otherwise, it'd be a massive breach of privacy.

The only other option is for the user to browse their hard drive, select a
file via a web based form, and upload it to the server with the aid of PHP.

This topic has been discussed millions of times on the list, and should be
easy to search for.

* MSIE security bugs excluded :)

Justin French

Creative Director