Hi  -
I recently used NetPBM libraries since a client was not satisfied with GD's
results.

You may want to have a look at PHP Gallery, a package which uses NetPBM
instead of Gd. I looked at it to get some idea on how to use NetPBM from PHP.
They have a comparison page:
http://www.menalto.com/projects/gallery/modules.php?op=modload&name=NetPbmVsGd&file=index

Cheers,

        Gianluca