The browser's back button is NOT reliable, and JavaScript's 'back' is the
same thing...

If you are carrying values forward to the next page with a hidden field, my
recommendation would be to store each page's vars is a way which is easy to
work with, and instead of the browser's back button, prove them with <FORM>
buttons for back and forward.  This way, the user's input from previous
pages is set in the POST vars, and you can do something like:

<INPUT name="first" size="20" value="<? if(isset($first)) { echo
stripslashes($first); } else { echo "please enter your first name"; } ?>">

However, some people don't like using forms in this way, and it doesn't
solve the problem of people hitting their back button.  As you already
recognised, sessions would be a great way for keeping this data on hand,
because you can detect if the user has already seen "page 1" and flow in the
data they already entered.

Also consider inserting the data directly into a database (either the "real"
table, or a temporary table), which can provide the same options.

I like the idea of sessions best, but haven't really spent AGES testing each
method, looking for pros and cons.

Justin
Creative Director
http://Indent.com.au