Okay well I answered my own dumb question on this one the server on
which I was running these on did not have postgresql support built in
but now I'm running into another problem. When I try to disconnect from
the server using pg_close in a method(function) I can't seem to find out
which link to use because I called the connection with a method also.
Any ideas?

Below is the code to the class

<?
// Database.class
/* This class will specifiy options and methods you can use to connect
to a databaseserver and use the methods to pull data connect and insert
or delete data
*/

class Database
{
   var $connection;

   function Database()
   {
      print ("In Database Constructor<br>");
   } // end Database Constructor

   function connectDb($host,$user,$dbname,$pw)
   {
      print ("Starting Database connection...<br>");
      $connection = pg_connect("host=$host user=$user dbname=$dbname
password=$pw");

      return $connection;

   } // end connectDb method

   function freeResult($result)
   {
      pg_freeresult($result);
   } // end freeResult method

   function disconnectDb($con)
   {
      print ("<br><br>Closing Connection...");
      pg_close($con);
   } // end disconnectDb method
}// end class Database