Is their a way to run a command as root..or another user..

I know their are a log of security issues with allowing this.. I will
tighten down security after I get it to work.

He is what I am trying to do.
I have squid & squid guard set up..

in squids redirect url.. (on the same box).. I would like to modify a
checked/domain list (I'm currently doing this manually...  though I think I
know how to do this ..or at least the book I have does.)  after it is
modified I need to run the fallowing...

--update--
#!/bin/sh
./squidguard -C all        #or a specific db.. but all covers... all
/etc/init.d/squid restart

I can run this as root or as squid..

I did create a test script which just copied some files in the /tmp dir..
--test--
#!/bin/sh
echo "this is a test"
cp /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/Block.html /tmp/Block.html

I can run this.. and it works with the fallowing....

<?php
$command="./test";
system($command);
?>