On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Steve Buehler wrote:
> Does anybody know if there is a way for php to get the operating system
> type from a linux box?  I know how to get the kernel version, but not the
> operating version/type.
> example.  RedHat Linux 6.1 or 6.2 or 7.1, etc....

That's probably pretty tricky. What is a Redhat installation? What is it
after half the files have been gutted and replaced with packages from
elsewhere or source-built binaries?

Once /etc/issue gets changed, there's nothing that conclusively identifies
the machine as RedHat except for an arbitrary assortment of files and
directories that may or may not be intact.

miguel