You know, I once said the same: better fix the notices and keep the code
"clean". But as I've done several performance tests I came to a
conclusion that there's no much difference debugging the code yourself
or let PHP doing it. Often predefining manually a variable resulted to
me being even more 'expensive' then when PHP debugs it. I think it is
wise using this feature of PHP. The only reason not to is for having the
full control of your code.

Just my 2 Eurocents

Sincerely,

Maxim Maletsky